PROSPECT PARK history archives
One of the hallmarks of an old, established neighborhood such as Prospect Park is historical preservation. The History Archives section of the website is where you will find significant stories, information, photos and documents that have been gathered over the years since the website has operated (1994 - present), with the intention of growing as current information displaces information in the website's other, contemporary sections.
The PPERR NRP program from 1993-2011 had major effects in shaping the current look of Prospect Park. Prior to NRP, the great impact was the construction of I-94 through the neighborhood in 1964. Since NRP the great impact has been the construction of the Light Rail Green line down University Avenue and the ensuing high-density development.
Prospect Park History
Pages in this section include:
- A History Overview
- The 2003 history book: Under the Witch's Hat: A Prospect Park East River Road History 2003
- Photo galleries from the 1960's - 2000's.
- Neighborhood Newspapers from the 1970's - 2000's: Tower Talks, Southeast/Southeast Angle/The Bridge, Riverbank Rambler.
- Prospect Park's participation in the city-wide Neighborhood Revitalization Plan (NRP) 1991 - 2011.
- The first Neighborhood ID Signs project 2002.